"There is a depth of truth, this depth of being that wants itself known, felt, expressed, met. It makes you want to soar, to fly on eagle wings, to master your own dreams, to find true freedom. To create a masterpiece of life. Take all the pieces of life and create a new quilt. One that shines with love and light."

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Summer Rain



“Rain is grace; Rain is the sky condescending to the earth;
Without rain there would be no life”
                                                                                                               John Updike

 

Rainy days have always been a time to relax. I learned this from my mother. She would relax because she couldn’t do the wash or so many things in the rain. We would play games inside and have fun. Mom would make stews and fresh bread and cinnamon piecrust. We would laugh, sing songs, and tell ghost stories. So of course I carried this forward with my own children. They would line up the chairs in a row for a train and cover the table with a blanket for a cave. In fact one of my sons was so afraid of the thunder that he would insist on the covered table to hide under--with the dog!

























































Whenever I feel a need to change my life due to stress or problems I always wish for a rainy day. And if I can not wish one up, I pretend and relax anyway. Over my lifetime I have learned to be creative at finding things to do for my rainy days things that truly help me to relax, take stock of my life, and renew my energy and joy.

















However, thinking you can relax only when it rains or when you can’t do anything else, is not really the point. Relaxing is a way of life. We should take time every day to relax. Take time every day for our needs. Taking even a few moments each day to relax and enjoy our lives--to make a “rainy day” event happen with a soothing cup of tea, for instance, will help us to find peace and contentment and allow us to renew ourselves.


The happiest heart that ever beat was in some quiet breast
That found the common daylight sweet, And left to Heaven the rest.
                                                                                                  John V. Cheney


Renew thyself completely each day; do it again, and again, and forever again.
Chinese inscription cited by Thoreau in Walden




Peace and Joy to All 

1 comment:

  1. i love all your rainy pictures...those rainy days just make me want to sit around...and do...nothing...but listen to the drops hit the metal roof!
    beautiful cloud picture with the opening for the (setting?) sun peeking through!

    ReplyDelete

ITS ONLY POSSIBLE TO LIVE HAPPILY-EVER-AFTER ONE DAY AT A TIME.